Tuesday, April 29, 2014

CENTURIAE

"My name is Quintus Dias. I am a soldier of Rome, and this is neither the beginning, nor the end of my story." - Centurion. 
My name's not half as cool but this is definitely neither the beginning nor the end of my Danish story, only the bits in between. 

In Setswana we say go tsamaya ke go bona which literally translates to to travel is to see. I always wanted to change that last word to sea, to make a verb of all that vastness but alas. Despite growing up wanting to one day see "overseas" the local word for far away, the furthest most imaginable point away from everything known a la John Cheever and his "I've been homesick for countries I've never been, and longed to be where I couldn't be" I didn't really travel till I was in my twenties.  I've always loved the idea of being elsewhere and encountering alien forms of life but beyond the standard fear of the unknown my worry was I'd miss home. Home for me being people, not so much buildings or land (I acknowledge I have the privilege to make such distinctions) but I've learnt to build tribes everywhere - small, colorful, mostly multi-lingual-sometimes-not pockets of strangers, so problem solved.

I'm still in Denmark and today someone read out an excerpt of Antonio Machado's traveler/wanderer poem ...Traveller, the road is only /your footprint, and no more;/traveller, there’s no road,/the road is your traveling.
Going becomes the road/and if you look back/you will see a path /none can tread again.

He says, Machado, he does, that our task is to go
Outside the Queen's palace a Danish beefeater? Not unlike the English foot guards the Royal Life Guards  Den Kongelige Livgarde wear lovely fluffy hats :-D


International Trade Opportunity: If only Botswana could export her sun here, in exchange for a little water...


Copenhagen at sunset


Workshop in Roskilde. Today was Danish poet Asta Olivia's turn to facilitate. I was lead last week which meant I go off exploring for part of this session

I have an open window policy. If I should fall upon an open window I have to see what the window sees
 Someone told me this Danish sign says 'fear' not (English) angst but language will always come back to itself. The word angst comes from the German for fear/anxiety.

“Wanderlust, the very strong or irresistible impulse to travel, is adopted untouched from the German, presumably because it couldn’t be improved upon. " Elizabeth Eaves
'Travel is like adultery: one is always being tempted to be unfaithful to one's own country' 
-Anatole Broyard 

A moment happening / camera obscuring itself. I don't speak Danish and sometimes in company it feels a little like this. Colour can be enough. And sometimes sound is an end in itself although I know we like to think we moved beyond grunts a long time ago

No comments:

Post a Comment